Monday, September 29, 2014

Unit Test Correction Policy


Tests are a big part of my students' grades. I want all students to have a chance to go back and relearn material they have trouble with on a test, and I want their grade to reflect those improvements. I also want all students to take classwork, homework, test review, and tests seriously as they happen, not wait till disaster strikes and then try to catch up. My policy on test corrections tries to balance these goals.

If you score below 70 on a unit test, you really need to do corrections. I don’t want anyone to have below a C and I know you can catch up if you work at it!

How To Get Higher Test Scores 

The best way to get a high score on a test is to do it on test day. If you didn't take test review seriously in class or for homework, rethink that for next time and you'll probably find it helps you get a better score on the next test.

You can raise your score significantly by doing corrections, though. Corrected problems will earn you half the missing points back, OR full corrections will give you an 80% (B-), whichever is better. Another way to think of this is that your post-correction test score is the average of your old test and your corrected test (or 80%, whichever is better). 

Examples: with full corrections, a 90 would become a 95, an 86 would become a 93, an 80 would become a 90, a 72 would become an 86, and anything 60 or below would become an 80.

(Some exceptions for higher correction or retake credit may be made in the case of excused absences.)

How To Do Corrections

Your corrections must be easily identifiable (I don't want to have to reread your whole test). You can do them on the original test and mark them clearly (highlighters are great for this), do them on a new copy of the test, or do them on a separate piece of notebook paper.

WRITE YOUR NAME on any new pieces of paper with corrections. Staple them to the original test for easy reference.

Each corrected problem must include a written explanation of what was wrong and how you fixed it (for instance, explain you mixed up factors and multiples, then do the problem correctly). The explanation can be brief. I just don't want to see anyone simply copying down the right final answers. Show work!!

Don't work on extra credit problems, if there are any. Those are a one-time opportunity.

There will sometimes be two due dates for corrections: one for drafts, and one for final corrections. Basically, you only get points for corrections that are actually correct, so if you want a second chance, you need to get me your corrections before the final due date so I can help you catch any errors.

Where To Do Corrections, and Who Can Help

Work on corrections at home, or at school outside of class time (especially after school). Students often find that just working in a calmer environment helps them remember some things they felt confused about on the original test.

You can get help from ANYONE with corrections: me, your friend, your parent, another family member, Khan Academy or elsewhere on the web, ... You can use a calculator and, of course, your class notes.

Ask me for help after school if you need it!! I am generally available on Mondays, Wednesdays, and for a shorter time on Thursdays and (sometimes) Fridays. If possible, let me know you’re coming so I’m sure to be in my room. I can also arrange to work with you at lunch with a day's warning. If those times don't work, contact me and we can try to work something else out.

Where to Put Corrections

When you finish corrections, put them in your period's in-box in Room 203.

Did I leave anything out? Please let me know if something was unclear.

No comments:

Post a Comment